Dodge Repair/'02 dakota sticks in park

I have a dodge Dakota 2002 slt quad cab 4,7 v-8 automatic shift on the colum that gets stuck in park I have to remove the cover and manually push the lock to release  I replaced the brake light switch as I read that was it but it still doing it I alse read it could be ignition /park interlock switch what do you think?  thanks for your help

Hi Charles,
I have the '04 Dakota manual on a CD, which probably applies to your '02 as regards the transmission. It shows there to be three automatic transmission models, and because of your having the 4.7 V-8 I would suspect it has the electronic automatic model 545RFE. There are also 42RE and 46RE automatics.  There is a plate on the left side of the transmission located just above the oil pan which likely will indicate the model number.
There is a description of the shift cable adjustment procedure, both at the transmission and at the steering column which would likely be the place to start to repair it, probably at the column where you already have some experience. I can copy the pages and attach them to an email I would send to you directly but if you tell me the address don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" as otherwise the address will be automatically deleted.
So first determine which of the 3 transmissions you have so I can copy the adjustment pages for it.
Thanks for the rating and nomination.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).