Dodge Repair/'02 Stratus: dies after 30 minutes of running

Question
QUESTION: I have a dodge stratus 2002 2.7 engine, the problem is a knocking sound on the engine but not all the time, the real problem is the engine quit after 20 or 25 min. After I let it rest for a wild I started and run again for another 30 minutes t3he engine is 103,000 miles, I will appreciate your advice. thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Javier,
That sort of behavior is characteristic of a sensor that is failing as it gets warmed up.
There are several such sensors but the engine controller has a self-diagnostic ability to tell us which one it is.
Use the ignition key to get a fault code number that will tell us what might be wrong:
Turn the key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time.
Then watch to odometer window in the speedo cluster to see the mileage reading to be replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
Roland

QUESTION: Okay Roland I did it the display is P- 1684. I will appreciate your answer.

Answer
Hi Javier,
That code simply says that the battery was disconnected from the wiring sometime in the past 50 or so starts.
If that is not the case, then I would check the battery clamps to be sure they are clean and tight. Otherwise, the best thing to do is keep looking for a new fault code to appear as the failing part may not be so bad as to have been noticed by the engine control module.
Does the die off occur as you are driving at a constant speed, or does it die when you slow down to a "stop". If the latter, then check the exhaust gas recirculation valve which may be sticking ajar as that will cause the stall and difficult restart.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston