Dodge Repair/Overheating with coolant loss: '05 Neon

I have pressure tested the cooling system. Held 15 pounds for more than 30 minutes. Replaced thermostat. Cooling fans are operating, no 'milk' in oil, and car does not seem to be miss-firing. Suspect coolant is being forced out overflow in reservoir, but not sure. Coolant loss is evident, but unsure where it is going. Drove car on highway around 40 miles with no problems. Can't make any sense of why it is overheating.

Hi Vance,
It sounds like you may be loosing coolant. The other pathway to consider is that there is a leak between the cooling system and one of the cylinders via a head gasket leak and is being blown out the tailpipe which you won't likely notice unless you check it first thing when starting the engine from cold. You will see some white smoke which when it condenses on your skin will smell of antifreeze. So look for that possibility.
If you find that you are getting some coolant coming from the tail pipe, and if it is a minor amount, then you might try re-torqueing the cylinder head bolts. Back them off a couple of steps and then re-torque them to spec. Let me know which engine you have for the details. I have had success with such a situation by doing that.
Otherwise verify that the radiator fins and not occluded by mud.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).