Dodge Repair/Wiring harness problem or something else?

My daughter's 2004 Concorde LXi, 3.5 engine, just started cutting out around 2,500 rpm in any gear. Code P0016 shows for error in crank and cam signal. 5V measured at cam sensor power.  I replaced the crank sensor; no improvement. Cam sensor is recent, and when it last went out it gave a different code from this one. I just disconnected both cam sensor and crank sensor connectors and all four PCM connectors so the wiring shouldn't be connected to anything now. Between the cam sensor connector power pin (violet/white) and the signal pin (tan/yellow) I measure about 3 ohms. I'd expect an open circuit from the shop manual. Is there any reason I should see a low resistance between these two pins, or does this sound like a short in the wiring harness? If it's wiring, any ideas on the most likely location for the short?

Hi Julian,
The 0016 can be caused by problems with either sensor, or their wire harnesses, of by the tone wheels that the sensors detect being faulty. It is basically saying that the rotational angular relationship between the two signals is not as it is supposed to be.
The measurement you made is basically between pins 29 and 34 of the pcm unless you also removed that gray multipin plug at the pcm before making the measurement. I don't know what it should read but check to see if it indeed shows 3 ohms. If so, then re-measure the reading on the cam plug now with harness completely disconnected at both ends. If that is now infinite, then measure between 29 and 35 and see if the crank sensor reading is also 3 ohms. If it is, then I would wonder about whether there is a problem with a sensor not being seater properly to detect rotating item, or the rotating item itself (either the crank or cam).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).