Dodge Repair/'91 Dodge b250 318: loss of power

QUESTION: Hello from Sacotland
I have a 1991 Dodge b250 camper with the 318 engine and the 727 auto transmission. It will not pull up a steep hill properly, engine dies at about 60 percent throttle, ease back and it will climb very slowly. It does accelerate properly in top gear and overdrive however when coming to a stop, it shudders and will not change down through the gears until stationery. I have replaced fuel filter, new gasket for throttle body and EGR, no apparent manifold leaks, no engine warning light or fault codes except 12 as I had the battery disconnected recently. Can you help please

ANSWER: Hi Charles,
With no fault codes it is difficult to offer a suggestion. When you had the egr valve removed did you check that the valve stem is moving back and forth freely (against spring-action which tries to close the valve)? If it doesn't close tightly when under load or coming to a stop that can definitely cause what you are experiencing. Put some WD-40 on the stem of the valve and then move it back and forth via the slot around the stem using the tip of a screwdriver to move the stem.
Other than checking the compression to see whether you might have a weak cylinder, I don't have any other ideas. Keep a look out for a check engine light.

QUESTION: Hello Roland

thank you for your reply. I checked that the valve stem is moving by sucking on the outlet pipe, holding my finger over it, it only moved back when I released my finger, cant be sure it is closing tightly. What may happen if I was to blank it off

Hi Charles.
Blanking it off will cause an increase in the nitrous oxide pollutions put out by the engine so for that reason I would not recommend that. There is a circumferential slot on the stem of the egr valve that you can use to move the stem and thus "feel" if it is closing to a dead stop by means of the internal spring-action. If you can "press" it closed further by means of the tip of a screwdriver inserted in the slot then I would suggest you remove the valve and clean the valve and the valve seat and inspect it for any damage rather than to blank it off.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).