Dodge Repair/'99 Stratus: AC overpressure?

Question
QUESTION: I have a 99 Stratus and currently the A/C doesn't work. I've checked the freon level and it says over pressure and the compressor cycles also. The AC switch inside the car I have to press down and hold on it to make it work but turns right off after I let it go and the air is warm lIke outside lIke outside environment. The blower blows also and the light for AC on the button lights up and stays on. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

ANSWER: Hi Gene,
The compressor will only operate in a specific range of pressure. Either too low, or too high will result in what you are experiencing. I would be inclined to release a bit of the Freon until the level is such that the pressure of the system is no longer "over pressure". Did you recently add Freon which may have been in excess of the amount needed to fill the system?
If not then is the meter you are making the measurement with reliable?
Roland

QUESTION: I used 2 different gauges to check level and both read the same. I released all the freon in the system and recharged AC but AC still didn't get cold but compressor was cycling and fan kicked in. Would looking into a new compressor be the best solution?

ANSWER: What is the pressure reading when the compressor come into play, and then when it goes off?
The pressure transducer will not allow the compressor to run when the pressure is either above 431 psi or below 29 psi.

QUESTION: About 35-38psi and when compressor kicks off its about 65psi when it's off.

Answer
Then it appears to not be an "over pressure" cut-off problem, but rather possibly too low a pressure. How much R-134 did you use in refilling it?  
The total capacity is about 20 oz. If you used sufficient fluid, then there may be a leak in the system, or the compressor might be bad. I would be hesitant to recommend the compressor replacement without knowing more about the history of this problem. You may want to have a shop verify there is no leak detectable.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston