Dodge Repair/no spark: '68 383 Dodge Charger

Question
I have a 68 Dodge Charger 383 that has no spark at the coil, I was wondering if this could be caused by a faulty voltage regulator.

Answer
Hi Norm,
I doubt that the voltage regulator would affect the spark production in any way.
With the key in the "run" position there should be battery voltage at the point's movable 'arm' in the distributor (when the points are open) no matter what the regulator is doing. So begin by verifying that the incoming wire to the points in the distributor does show 12v on that arm, and that the distributor shaft is rotating and the points are opening and closing as a helper cranks it over via the starter motor. How many miles since you last changed the points, as those could be oxidized and thus not making good contact)?
Then verify that there is 12v on the + post of the primary winding connector of the ignition coil when cranking.
If all that is present then try holding the tip of the high voltage wire (that comes out from the spark coil and goes to the distributor cap) about 1/4" from the cylinder head and observe for spark to jump the gap when cranking it over. If it does, then there should be spark getting to plugs unless the rotor is "open" and not carrying the spark from the center post of the distributor cap to each of the spark plug wire contacts around the cap.
Also measure the resistance across the primary winding of the spark coil (+ to - pins) and between the output wire socket and the body of the coil. Let me know the ohms that you read.
The primary should be around an ohm or so, and the secondary should be 10's of thousands of ohms.
I am thinking back here quite away to your '68, but that is how I would approach it. I see no relationship of the voltage regulator to a no spark problem.
Thanks for your question, Norm.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston