Dodge Repair/'01 Durango: differential replacement

Question
QUESTION: I have an 01 Durango and am about to replace the rear differential on it due to gears completely broken and casing has hole in it. I was wondering how hard it would be and the amount of time I need to set aside to tackle this job. It has the 5.9L engine and the 12 bolt differential on it?

ANSWER: Hi Gene,
I have the '04 Durango manual and it probably applies to your '01. There are two differentials, the 8 1/4 and the 9 1/4. The procedure to remove and install appear identical.  There are 14 steps each direction but I can't estimate the time. It looks to be just going through the steps. I can copy the pages and attach them to an email I would send to you directly. If you want, tell me your email address but don't use @ or it will be erased. Instead use "at". I'll assume you have 9 1/4.
Roland

QUESTION: Yes its the 9 1/4 and that would be perfect and thanks. kirtonjr at yahoo.com

Answer
Hi Gene,
I wasn't clear as to what parts you were going to replace. Are you buying a used entire rear axle, or instead taking apart your present rear axle and replacing the differential?
What I described earlier is just about removing the rear axle (6 pages). The differential itself is a separate process, and then there are also instructions about differential cover, axle shaft, axle seal, axle bearing, pinion seal, and differential case bearings. There are too many pages (35) to copy about doing all that so I wonder whether you might be able to find a used manual on eBay? Let me know what job you intend to do.
Roland  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston