Dodge Repair/'04 Dakota: sputtering

Question
My 2004 dodge dakota V8 automatic had a bad water pump and thermostat. I changed both but not the fan clutch seemed to be in good shape. After I changed the water pump and thermostat I put the battery in the truck drove it around an it was sputtering at slower speeds and as I backed up an acted like it was gonna die. When I got home I checked under the hood an the engine was smoking a little but since that night it hasnt. The heater blew cold but I burped the truck an its hot again. After all that I shut the engine off an tried to start it up an the truck wouldnt turn over or have any lights come on. So I went to autozone had the battery checked and they said it was good. I put the battery back in and it worked after cleaning the clamps. The truck still is sputtering like before an now there is a hiss sound when I shut the engine off. I cleaned the throttle body but I havent checked my spark plugs or wires yet I just dont have the money to take it to a mechanic. please help

Answer
Hi Anthony,
The best approach would be to get any fault codes that may be stored in the memory of the engine control module. Use the ignition key: turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds of less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading be replaced by a 4-digit number(s) preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there. Also, which size V-8 do you have there, 4.7 or 5.9?
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston