Dodge Repair/2004 Dodge Durango awd Limited 5.7

Question
My Durango has been shifting into 4wd on its own for about a month now. At first it only happened once in awhile. Now it's staying on 4wd all the time. Sometimes when you hit the remote you will hear the Transfer Case Motor try to engage. I have read a lot of information online, but no one has be able to give a definitive answer. I believe it's the Transfer Case Motor. I was able to disconnect the motor and got it stay in awd.

Answer
Hi Steven,
As with the AC, the transfer case has a self-diagnostic capability with several dozen possible electrical fault codes preceded by a C. So as part of a diagnosis with a higher level fault code reader I would seek for the presence of such a code. Let me know if you find out what it is and I can look up the details for that code and let you know.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston