Dodge Repair/Service Shifter: '12 Charger 3.6L

Question
I have a 2012 Dodge Charger with a 3.6L engine and a 8 speed automatic transmission with 56,658 miles on the car. today while driving the message "Service Shifter" started appearing on and off in the electronic digital display window where your speed appears. I can't find anything in the cars manuals about it not even in the service schedule. What could be the problem.
Thank you

Answer
Hi Gene,
I checked my collection of CD's and unfortunately don't have one so new as to have the 8-speed automatic information. About all I can suggest would be to see if the trans fluid is at the full level and notice whether there are any leaks along the trans fluid hoses from the transmission to the cooler at the front of the car.
There may well be a 4-digit diagnostic trouble code stored in the powertrain control module that will give more specific information about the problem Try turning the ignition key "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch to odometer window to see if the mileage reading is replaced with such a number. I do have the manual for the '09 6-speed trans and that may be similar to the 8-speed.
When the term "shifter" is used I imagine the connecting cable between the shift lever in the cabin and the transmission. It may be that the cable is loose/out of adjustment at the transmission shifting rod. So take a look while a helper moves the shift lever.
Thanks for you question and best of luck on finding out what is the issue.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston