Dodge Repair/2003 Ram 4.7 Idle Hunting

Question
I'm trying to help a friend. I'm a retired Chevy Dealer Tech with little Dodge Experience. On his 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with 4.7 he has an intermittent idle hunting between base idle and 1000 rpm's when stopped at a light. No DTC's. I only have a generic scanner and what I can see with it all looks fine. I have a GM TECH2 scanner but that's no help. I'd like to get a snap shot of the data stream while the problem acts up but I can't with my scanner. He's had it at a shop several times but they cannot find the problem. They did put a new TPS on it but it did not cure the problem. Has there been any IAC problems with this engine...sticking, etc? Any other suggestion?

thanks

Answer
Hi Bob,
I have not had a similar problem presented to me. Without a DTC I have no ideas about what could be causing this. About the only item that is not well monitored I can think of is the egr valve, if there is one on this engine. It could be sticking slightly ajar instead of closing tightly as he slows to a stop. So if it does have an egr try checking for whether the valve stem is sticky and if so lubricate it.
I hope you have success in your efforts.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston