Dodge Repair/99 Dodge Stratus: Steering squeeks when wheel turned to the right

I have a 99 Stratus and recently I noticed that if I turn the wheel to the right it has a squeak even if it is just sitting still. It doesn't click or anything it just squeaks when you turn the steering wheel to the right.

Hi Gene,
The first thing to check would be whether the drive belt for the power steering pump is too loose and so it is slipping on the pulley. Open the hood and watch and listen for whether the sound is coming from the belt. If so, tell me which engine you have and I can describe the procedure for adjusting the belt.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).