Dodge Repair/Camshaft position sensor: '02 5.9L ram

Question
I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 st with a 5.9l v8. I am needing to replace the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. I have looked everywhere and I can not find a camshaft position sensor for a 5.9l. Will the sensor for the 5.7l work for the 5.9l?

Answer
Hi Joshua,
The 5.9L cam shaft position sensor for that year is called a 'synch signal generator' and it is located inside of the distributor so that may explain why you can't find the part. It is round (the same diameter as the distributor). So you remove the air filter tubing that hides the distributor, remove the distributor cap, remove the rotor, and then remove and disconnect the signal generator. It is thus quite different from the cmp of the 5.7L.
Roland  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston