Dodge Repair/Which timing belt on 2.0L engine

Question
QUESTION: Hi
i have a chrysler ( DODGE) neon 1996 AUTOMATIC .  My water pump is gone and wanted to find out if i should also change the timing belt.  Please can you assist me with the size of the timing belt.  is it 150 teeth x 29mm.  i am not sure of the diameter of the belt.  I have to order the belt and want to be 100% of the dimensions to avoid returns

Tony

ANSWER: Hi Tony,
What is the size of the engine (L)? That is the usual way to order that belt but I will check the service manual to see if the belt dimensions are given. But I would believe that the L size of the engine is all you need to order the correct size. How many miles on the engine since the belt was changed? You should be able to inspect the belt too.
Roland

QUESTION: hi,  

it is a 2ltr automatic.  The thing is at autozones they say its 112 teeth and carparts says its 150 teeth.  Now i am not sure which is which and the reason for me asking if there is somewhere one can check the exact specification for it.  I dont want to remove the one on the car at the moment only to fail to get the correct belt.  
i am not sure when it was changed, when i got the car it didnt have an up to date service book.  thats why i figure maybe its best to change both at the same time since the water pump is gone

Answer
Hi Tony,
There are two possible 2.0L engines, one is single overhead cam (SOHC) the other is double overhead cam (DOHC). The short belt is for the single, the long belt is for the double. The type of engine should be shown on the valve cover or you can check the vehicle ID number and in the 8th position there will be a C for the SOHC and a Y for the DOHC. The belt can be inspected easily on the DOHC where there is a removable tab on the top of the belt cover, while it would be more difficult to see it on the SOHC without doing a good deal of removal, but you will be doing that anyway to change the water pump. So you can inspect the belt and then decide whether to change it or not.
Roland
Please consider doing a rating/nomination of me. Thanks

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston