Dodge Repair/2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Air Conditioning

QUESTION: My a/c has a good volume of air blowing but it's just slightly cooler than outside air. I applied a refrigerant gage and it's around 32psi on the low side. Lots of condensation drips while in operation. What is a good direction for me to troubleshoot? Are there any filters or linkages within the system I can check? Thanks in advance (I'm melting).

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
You may just be low on refrigerant. Did you look at the sight glass while the unit is running?
What you describe is symptomatic of their being enough to allow the compressor to operate, but not enough to get the full effect.

QUESTION: I just added a part can of RedTek 12a refrigerant. It went to 85psi with a very slight decrease in temperature (better). I'll check the sight glass tomorrow. What should I be looking for there?

Hi Robert,
I am glad that you only used part of a can if what you used is R-12. That type of refrigerant was phased out a decade or more before 2011, and so you should be using R134 type instead. I assume you had the R-12 "on the shelf" for a long time, otherwise if you just bought it the person who sold should have pointed that out.
The sight glass should be clear, neither showing bubbles nor streaks when the system is operating.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).