Dodge Repair/coolant leak: '00 Dakota

Question
I have a 2000 dodge dakota 4.7 engine and I have a coolant leak. it's dumping out coolant closer to under the cab on the passenger side. I started to overheat and steam came through the vents. I thought it was the heater core. but my floor was dry. another mechanic said he thinks it's not the heater core. what could it be possibly?

Answer
Let me look into the service manual to see how the water is supplied to and returned from the HVAC unit. The HVAC us supplied with coolant by a hose that goes through the firewall. If there is no leak on the ground then it has to be a leak inside the HVAC unit itself, I would think. There is a similar return hose from the HVAC to the engine. So we have to find the source of the leak.
Do tell me if there is water leaking on the ground, if that is what you mean by "under the cab", or is the only sigh of fluid the steam coming from the vents (and by vents I assume you mean those associated with the HVAC air distribution panels)?
Did the mechanic say where the leak might be if not from the heater core?

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston