Dodge Repair/'01 Durango ecm swap out

I asked before about the 2000 dodge durango 5.9l v8 ecm. I found another vehicle of the same year and drive train and was wondering if it's possible to just swap it to mine or does it have to be programmed. I found mixed answers online with some saying as long as it's the same year and drive train it doesn't need to be reprogrammed.

Hi Joshua,
I have the '01 Ram manual which also covers the ecm for that engine. There are specific detailed instructions for removal and install of the ecm (which is shown here to be mounted to the left side of the engine block). Is that how yours is mounted?
No reprogramming is required but the throttle position sensor does have to be re-sensed. I can copy the details from the manual and attach them to an email I would send to you directly. I need to know your email address, but don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or it will be erased.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).