Dodge Repair/'01 Ram 2500 w/360 ci

Question
I recently purchased this '01 Dodge ram pickup with a 360 ci and 104K miles. The truck ran well for the first two months, but recently I noticed a significant loss of power. It feels like no fuel is getting to the engine. I lumber along until the truck gets through the episode, but only to occur again. At a stop, it runs rough and stalled a couple of times. I read online this could be do to several things beginning with fuel pump and fuel filter leading all the way up to tranny problems. Can you kindly give me your thoughts and your recommended approach to resolving the issue. thank you, Louis

Answer
Hi Louis,
The best way to get to the cause of your situation would be to determine whether the engine control module has detected a problem(s) and logged it as a Diagnostic Trouble Code.  Then find what the code number(s) is and we'll go from there.
Try using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see whether the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. If so let me know what it is. If that doesn't work, then a plug-in fault code reader should be tried via a socket under the dash. Some nation-wide auto parts stores(e.g. Autozone) will do that for free or an independent shop may charge about $40. Again, let me know any such fault code numbers.
Don't do anything yet until we try for a DTC and you can spend a lot of time and money when you don't have to.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston