Dodge Repair/'89 Ram won't start after short of cigarette lighter socket.

Question
So here's my question, my buddy was driving a 1989 Dodge Ram 1500 2 wheel drive his work truck. He rolled up to a stop light and he went to go plug in his phone charger into the cigarette lighter and didn't realize that there was pennies in the cigarette lighter and as soon as he did that the entire truck died. He went to turn it over and has nothing no clicking no sound no nothing so it's completely dead and he tried to start it by solenoid and it would turn over but wouldn't start. He's checked the battery connections which are okay and the headlights come on but nothing else happens no sound when he tries to click it turn it over I mean. I told him to check his real age because there's no sound coming from then when he turns it over. What do you think sir?

Answer
Hi Cassidy,
Unfortunately the oldest Ram manual I have is from '95, and prior to the 90's there were no separate power distribution boxes (under the hood) where the various main wire circuits were fused. Rather, the battery main system red wire was spliced into a series of parallel wires that were called "fusible link" wires and those then powered separate circuits either directly or sent to the various fuses in the fuse box in the cabin. Without a wiring diagram I can't be sure which of the fusible links has been blown but I suspect that is what happened.
So I would look at a fat red wires on the + post clamp of the battery (there should be two or possibly three of those, one going to the starter motor, and another going to splice nearby where it connects to maybe 5 or so different color fairly fat wires. Those fat wires are the fusible links. I suspect he will find that one of those fusible link wires has been burned through (broken) which is like a blown fuse. Note the color of the fusible link, and go buy one of the same color and replace it, which should return the power situation to normal.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston