Dodge Repair/'99 stratus: 2.4L "interference" problem

Question
QUESTION: Just got done with changing connecting rod bearing on 99 stratus 2.4L engine and I had to turn engine over by hand slightly to bring piston down. I tightend down bottom of connecting rod cap but now engine won't turn over at all. Any suggestions on the problem?

ANSWER: Hi Gene,
It is possible/likely that there is 'interference' between that piston (or other pistons) and their valves as this is an interference-design engine. You have to check that out by looking at the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets compared to the crankshaft position and then reset them to be correctly located.
Roland

QUESTION: Ok and if it is the timing I would need to remove covers because I tried to turn engine by hand again and it's not moving

ANSWER: Hi Gene,
If you can recall which way you turned the engine by hand, and did you have the timing belt loosened/removed when you did that, then you have to probably remove the belt and by hand move the sprockets a little at a time in synchrony until you get the cam sprockets and crank sprocket re-aligned to one another. Do you have the manual that describes installation of the timing belt? If not let me know and tell me you your email address (but use "at", not @) and I can copy it and send the pages to you.
Roland

QUESTION: If I remember right I pulled down towards the oil pan and nothing was loose when I turned engine by hand. I don't have the manual kirtonjr"at"yahoo.com

Answer
Hi Gene,
I was incorrect in saying that there can be interference between pistons and valves. However it is true for that engine that there can be valve to valve interference if the camshaft sprockets are out of alignment with one another. So compare the location of the cam shaft marks to one another compared to what is shown in the drawing for when they are aligned properly (count teeth). That would appear to be the issue with your "interference".
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston