Dodge Repair/mileage reading recorded in the ecm?

I have a dodge durango 2000 5.9l v8 and I am purchasing a new ecm. It is asking me for the mileage of the vehicle. I tried to look up why they need it but the could not find anything. I was wondering if the ecm had anything to do with gas mileage or in other words if i reported a lower vehicle mileage would it make my vehicle have better gas mileage?

Hi Joshua,
The 'legal' recording of the vehicle's mileage for purposes of warranty is not the odometer reading in the instrument cluster but rather what is recorded in the ecm. So when you change ecm the mileage reading of the existing ecm is recorded in the replacement ecm. It has no impact on the gasoline mileage.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).