Dog Breeding and Whelping/Deformed pup

Lynn wrote at 2010-02-25 07:46:02
That's not just a red spot, that's the puppy's brain showing through a hole in the skull. In short, what you have there is anacephaly. It means that the puppy is missing the upper half of its brain. Wikipedia has some good info on the disorder, or you can google it, but beware of pictures of human babies with the condition, especially if you've got a sensitive stomach.  

Sierra wrote at 2010-03-29 21:59:20

Another much more serious and important issue is the higher occurrence of health problems in Merle Chihuahuas. You may wonder how this is so, when merle is only a color pattern? Well, unfortunately, unlike other colors, the merle gene acts on a color and lightens and whitens certain parts of it (creating patches)...the whitening is what causes defects. Often, when a dog's coat is whitened, the pigment inside of their ear and on their eye, also whitens...making the dog DEAF and BLIND as the nerves endings atrophy and die.

As quoted from Idexx, makers if the merle genetic blood test (

"Health Problems Associated with the Merle Allele - Both heterozygous merle (Mm) and homozygous double merle (MM) dogs may exhibit auditory and ophthalmic abnormalities including mild to severe deafness, increased intra ocular pressure, ametropia, microphthalmia and colobomas. The double merle genotype may also be associated with abnormalities of skeletal, cardiac and reproductive systems."

Definition of Heterozygous-one parent is a merle, the other is a non-merle. Also known as single merles, or Mm.

Definition of Homozygous-both parents are merle. Also known as double merles, or MM.

Becky wrote at 2010-06-21 19:28:54
There is a birth defect called Anaphalic, Misspelled, it is where there is no brain and the back of the skull is open...

Molly wrote at 2010-07-26 16:36:18
Well, It might have to do with nutrition or polluted water that the dog might have drank. My dog Iggy, a black lab mix has a cleft foot. He has four toes but they fussed in the womb, his mother had five other healthy pups, and has always had healthy litters, Iggy is the acceptance to this. But strangley enough, his grandma in the litter that his mom was born gave birth to two puppies that were deformed, one had no tail, the other's deformity was more serious, she was born without a roof to her mouth and couldn't eat, she died shortly after birth, the tailless one is now living in Orlando Florida with an elderly couple at the age of eight and a half.

We do not know exactly what caused their deformities. But now I see a cause for your deformed dog, he is a chihuahua and first off their eyes cause problems to begin with because they are all ready too big for their sockets. second their size has altered their DNA and uncareful breeding when they were developed caused slight deformities to arise in the DNA strands. These deformities when combined with the right genes from a different dog can harm the fetus and cause it to have deformities. Like a guinea hen chick that hatched yesterday at my father's house, it couldn't extend it's toes on it's left foot so it can't walk, hopefully, your puppy will survive unlike mine and the guinea hen.

Sandy wrote at 2010-09-20 00:46:37
The dog in the picture is a Merle in color.  Typically Merle's have more genetic defects.  You should never breed Merle to Merle... Is that what your friend is doing?  She needs to stop breeding the dog!

Dee wrote at 2011-01-14 23:06:53
Are both parents merle, or have merle in their bloodlines? You are NEVER supposed to breed merle to merle, as it can cause severe deformities just like that.

Alyssa wrote at 2011-09-21 22:10:25
I know that this question is very old, but I wanted to add to its answer for anyone who may be searching for the same thing. I have seen a neural tube defect in a human baby and it had the same features that were described here. I couldn't find any cases if in a dog, except for this one here:

It is likely that cases such as this have occurred in dogs before but just were not reported because either the veterinarian or owner were not aware of this condition. This article didn't mention any possible causes for this to occur in a dog, but in humans, Anencephaly is known to be caused by a folic acid inefficiency, undiagnosed diabetes, excessive heat exposure during pregnancy, harmful chemical exposure or genetic factors.

bookie wrote at 2012-03-09 16:44:55
Hi. I don't know if it is genetic or not. Just because the parents aren't related at all, it doesn't meant that they can't still carry a gene for a genetic disorder. What I would do is find the Chi parent club on the interenet and see if this is breed related. They usually have experienced people you can contact. If it's not, then I would take a long look at what's going on in the invornment. Any chemicals being used in the house, on the lawn, or on the dogs? What are the dogs being fed, and vitiamins during pregnany? This is an odd one, I will do some research and see what I can find.  

Lee wrote at 2012-04-08 20:01:35
First of all, this is a MERLE puppy.  They are known to have genetic problems.  Also, if a merle is bred to a merle, this will happen.  Chemicals ?  Well, go to google and type in CHEMTRAILS.  The government is spraying all of us, including our animals, in an effort to de-populate.  Go read for yourself.  

alf wrote at 2012-06-16 14:49:35
this chihuahua was a merle chihuahua from the colouring this is not an accepted colour in a chihuahua and could be something to do with the deformity what happened to the pup?

Crazy Jane wrote at 2012-06-25 05:04:10
I would start looking for other strange occurrences. Honestly, sounds like you have omens in your city or town. And before the snarky comments begin, note that this has been happening to newborns of all species in the past year and it's the same traits exactly. Weird, I know.  

Gil-Ann wrote at 2012-09-22 16:13:00
Quit breeding.  There are too many animals in rescues today, go to petfinder, click chihuahua you will see many needing homes.  This could have been an inbred puppy.  This is very sad - people need to quit breeding and start spaying and neutering.

Lena wrote at 2012-11-22 02:31:36
I'm a chihuahua breeder, and no it's not something that is normally found in chihuahuas. Though it could be something with the mother, for example; we breed two of our dogs, the female got crystals but the pups were safe, but almost killed the mother. In another breeding we changed her diet during her pregnancy one pup was normal a lil small but normal her litter mate was the length of two hands side by side. Another one of her litters she had 2 normal size pups and one extremely small, she came out side ways when she was born, her head minus her nose was a little bit bigger then a quarter but her tongue was bigger then her mouth. We just lost her this year at 14 years old, and the vets told us she wouldn't live past 24 hours, we've had 2 with sugar problems, but missing eye lids is caused by something else

Miss knowledge wrote at 2014-03-17 16:56:37
This dog is a product of a byb that more than likely bred a merle with a merle or a phantom merle.  A merle should never be bred with another merle, a cream, or a white dog.  So sad :( unless you are a very experienced breeder and have done extensive gene research you have no business breeding merles. Most double merles are born with eye and hearing defects they can also be born with no eyes at all.

kcall wrote at 2015-08-27 06:41:31
It is ANENCEPHALY. I just had a stillborn Dalmatian pup be born with a severe case of ANENCEPHALY. He was around the same weight as his siblings and did not appear to have any other deformities. There is no evidence to suggest that anencephaly has anything to do with merle or any particular breed. It is very rare. My dog had a good diet throughout her pregnancy, was never exposed to any chemicals or extreme temps and this was her 4th and final litter. This was the only puppy she has ever had with a health issue. Sometimes, things just don't form right in the womb. Mother nature is not infallible.

Dog Breeding and Whelping

Renee Cox

I can help with many questions on whelping, difficulties with pregnancy, and puppies. My breed is Boxer, but I have helped other breeders whelp many different breeds, including the small breeds. I also took a vet assistant course for my own dogs. I only have 8 years breeding experience.

I have bred, whelped, and raised Boxers for 8 years. I have also helped other breeders in different breeds whelp many litters.

I have two semesters of vet assistant training.