Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/What can I cook for my dog

Hello, Karla. I really need your help. My 6-year-old Black Russian terrier was diagnosed with silica bladder stones.All his life he was on Solid Gold dry dog food and Trader Joes can food and now I am switching him to raw meat and chicken diet(high animal protein). Please, let me know what veggies can I add to his diet. Can we add oatmeal or rise? Is beef green tripe good for him? Thank you.

Hi Olga,
Thank you for writing and thus introducing me to this breed that I was unfamiliar with previously.  I did some very basic research and immediately found that Black Russian Terriers are genetically predisposed to Hyperuricosuria, which is a medical term referring to the presence of excessive amounts of uric acid in the urine. This in turn can lead to silica stones, and you are right to change his diet to one low in purines:
Purines are found in high concentration in meat and meat products, especially internal organs such as liver and kidney. In general, plant-based diets are low in purines.[5] Examples of high-purine sources include: sweetbreads, anchovies, sardines, liver, beef kidneys, brains, meat extracts (e.g., Oxo, Bovril), herring, mackerel, scallops, game meats, beer (from the yeast) and gravy.
A moderate amount of purine is also contained in beef, pork, poultry, other fish and seafood, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas, lentils, dried peas, beans, oatmeal, wheat bran, wheat germ, and hawthorn.

Also note that according to the following article, you may want to give distilled drinking water, and watch out for Bentonite Clay, which is found in "natural" pet foods as a mineral supplement.
I suggest you follow these guidelines and limit protein for now to minimal amounts- you may want to make a homemade diet for a while.  

hope this helps.  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas

Welcomes questions regarding cooking for dogs, and may be able to provide information regarding pet food quality and ingredients. Not qualified to answer medical questions.

Founder, Rudy Green Inc., manufacturer of a frozen, all natural "people food for dogs". I have been an animal rescue worker for over 20 years and have extensive knowledge of pet food and nutrition.

Bachelors degree in Social Sciences. 20+ years of active volunteerism within Animal Welfare organizations. Over 6 years of studies and hands on research in pet nutrition.

Retail customers include Whole Foods Market, Kroger, Amazon and independent pet supply and grocery stores