Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/High Protein kibble harmful for chihuahuas?

Hi Susan,
Within the past several months I've adopted two 1.5 yr old chi's from shelters. I've only had the newest about 3 weeks, but she is showing signs of allergies (reverse sneezing, licking paws, scratching). I've been doing some research about diet and am reading that the food I have them on (Royal Canin Chihuahua dry) is full of corn/grains which are not good for them, and can cause allergies. A few days ago I changed them to Innova Grain Free-chicken/turkey kibble because it was rated 5 stars on They've only been on it for 3 days, and are drinking considerably more than before.  Now I read that high protein dry food may put too much strain on the kidney/liver of toy breeds. There are so many opinions on this that I'm becoming very confused. What would you suggest?

Hi Donna,

It can be very daunting trying to figure out what is really good to feed your pet's.  I love two brands, both are not sold in stores but shipped right to your door to guarantee freshness.  Take a look at and
I use both of these for my own dogs.  Both offer the very best in nutrition and quality. Free shipping for one and an extra discount for autoship on the other.

Fish formulas are very healthy for dogs with kidney issues if you are looking for something for that.  

Hope this helps you to find a food you can feel good about feeding your little dogs.

Susan Potts

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada