Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Puppy food

Hello Karla,

My dog has had puppies four weeks ago. About a week ago she started refusing them to nurse as much as they want, but still does it about five times a day. In the meantime, they have been demanding cooked chicken, as this is what she gets, and they lick the floor if she drops it. Should we give them some?

Thank you for your answer,

mothers mild is the best thing there is, so as a last resort you can make a formula yourself using goats milk. Adding a little bit of water in which the chicken for momma has been cooked may make it more enticing.  As you transition to puppy food you can add the chicken juices (again, i hesitate to say broth because i don't want to confuse with canned chicken broth) to their dry food.
Here is a formula recipe from Dr. Pitcairn.:
1/4 c half and half
1 c goat milk
2 large eggs
1/2 T protein powder
1-2 days worth of adult dog dosage multivitamins powdered or crushed
1/2 tsp eggshell powder or bone meal (if you can find it)

Good luck.

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas

Welcomes questions regarding cooking for dogs, and may be able to provide information regarding pet food quality and ingredients. Not qualified to answer medical questions.

Founder, Rudy Green Inc., manufacturer of a frozen, all natural "people food for dogs". I have been an animal rescue worker for over 20 years and have extensive knowledge of pet food and nutrition.

Bachelors degree in Social Sciences. 20+ years of active volunteerism within Animal Welfare organizations. Over 6 years of studies and hands on research in pet nutrition.

Retail customers include Whole Foods Market, Kroger, Amazon and independent pet supply and grocery stores