Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Single vs Multiple Protein Sources

Question
QUESTION: Hi Susan,

I'd like to get your take on whether you believe a single source protein or multiple source protein dry dog food is best for health and nutrition? I have an Olde English Bulldog who is definitely sensitive to the food she eats. I have tried raw, dehydrated, and air-dried dog foods before coming back to dry. My dog's stomach just wasn't able to handle the "richness" of any of the other choices, besides dry food. She was also constantly hungry on anything but the dry food, so I am determined to find her a dry food that will give her a lustrous coat and small, firm stools. I also have tried to feed dry kibble with digestive/vitamin supplements, but those don't agree with her either.

I have narrowed it down to a few dry foods I'd like her on. The first is Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost kibble which has little freeze-dried bits mixed in. Seems great from the description, but it does have multiple protein sources (venison, lamb, and turkey). The other is made by Nutrisource called Pure Vita. I fed her a sample of this food with the grain-free Bison formula, and she loved it.

I'm not sure which dry food to choose. Can you help? Thanks!

ANSWER: Hello Mike,

I was taught that if the source of the meat is the freshest, comes from a free range farm, and is handled and processed by using the safest manufacturing  process than one source protein is fine.  With that being said, I trust two dry food companies.  Life's Abundance and Flint River Ranch, both I feed my own dogs.  I am now also selling these foods because I truly trust and believe in the company.  Since I only feed my dogs these two brands, than its all I can honestly recommend.

You may view the websites and see all the useful information at: http://www.pipschoice.com and http://www.frrco.com/120855
If you want to try something, I will try to get you a sample.  

Susan Potts
www.spottsgrooming.com

QUESTION: Thank you for the recommendation Susan. The Flint River Ranch food peaks my curiosity. They include grains in all of their formulas though. I had thight the main goal was to go grain-free for the dogs. Is there something I'm missing?

Answer
Grains contain vital minerals and vitamins that the body needs.  When talking about no grain diets, the reason is the poor source of ingredients used like corn and wheat glutin that causes allergies.  These need to be avoided.

Hope this helps.
Susan

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts