Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Single vs Multiple Protein Sources

I'd like to get your take on whether you believe a single source protein or multiple source protein dry dog food is best for health and nutrition? I have an Olde English Bulldog who is definitely sensitive to the food she eats. I have tried raw, dehydrated, and air-dried dog foods before coming back to dry. My dog's stomach just wasn't able to handle the "richness" of any of the other choices, besides dry food. She was also constantly hungry on anything but the dry food, so I am determined to find her a dry food that will give her a lustrous coat and small, firm stools. I also have tried to feed dry kibble with digestive/vitamin supplements, but those don't agree with her either.

I have narrowed it down to a few dry foods I'd like her on. The first is Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost kibble which has little freeze-dried bits mixed in. Seems great from the description, but it does have multiple protein sources (venison, lamb, and turkey). The other is made by Nutrisource called Pure Vita. I fed her a sample of this food with the grain-free Bison formula, and she loved it.

I'm not sure which dry food to choose. Can you help? Thanks!

ANSWER: Hello Mike,

I was taught that if the source of the meat is the freshest, comes from a free range farm, and is handled and processed by using the safest manufacturing  process than one source protein is fine.  With that being said, I trust two dry food companies.  Life's Abundance and Flint River Ranch, both I feed my own dogs.  I am now also selling these foods because I truly trust and believe in the company.  Since I only feed my dogs these two brands, than its all I can honestly recommend.

You may view the websites and see all the useful information at: and
If you want to try something, I will try to get you a sample.  

Susan Potts

QUESTION: Thank you for the recommendation Susan. The Flint River Ranch food peaks my curiosity. They include grains in all of their formulas though. I had thight the main goal was to go grain-free for the dogs. Is there something I'm missing?

Grains contain vital minerals and vitamins that the body needs.  When talking about no grain diets, the reason is the poor source of ingredients used like corn and wheat glutin that causes allergies.  These need to be avoided.

Hope this helps.

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada