Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/How much

Question
How much eggshell should I give my dog?  I boil the shell, and grind it to a fine powder.  My dog is a six lb. Yorkie female.

Answer
Are you adding eggshell for the calcium to a homemade diet?
As important as it is to add calcium to homemade diets, it is equally important not to add calcium to complete-and-balanced commercial diets, there is enough in those that you don't want to add more.
One-half teaspoon ground eggshell provides approximately 1,000 milligrams calcium. A good rule of thumb is to add approximately 800 to 1,000 milligrams of calcium, or teaspoon ground eggshell, per pound of fresh food. If you feed a combination diet of fresh and commercial foods, add enough calcium to match only the amount of fresh food; do not factor in the commercial food.

Hope this helps.
Susan Potts
www.spottsgrooming.com
www.pipschoice.com  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts