Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Raw Food Diets

QUESTION: Hello there!
I'm planning on adopting a German shepherd puppy in May. That's a long way off, I know, but I'm deciding on what his/her diet will be now. I would really like to do a raw food diet because there are a lot of benefits to it. (Healthier coat, teeth, and overall health is better on raw food).

But I'm worried about a few things. One of those is sanitation. If a dog eats raw meat and then, say, licks someones hand or maybe some furniture, can the human pick up germs from the raw meat and become ill? I don't want my whole family getting severely sick because my puppy is eating raw chicken livers, necks, etc.

Also, I read that it's okay to go "cold turkey" and put a puppy that's been eating processed food straight to raw food, but there will be a period where the dog will have diarrhea and possibly vomit until his digestive system gets used to the new food. I also read that mixing puppy food/raw food is bad because they take different times to digest, hence the idea of going "cold turkey." Can I start a young puppy on raw food in the very beginning, when it can eat solid foods, to prevent that stage of discomfort for the puppy?(Obviously I will be asking the breeder if they can do this for me, I would never want to adopt a pup under 8 weeks of age.)

Also any important info on raw food diets would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so, so much!

ANSWER: Hello Sarah,

I am not a big fan of the raw diet.  There are to many issues to consider when feeding your dog raw.  One being; sanitation.  You or your family can get sick when not handled properaly.  Read about raw meat handling on packages you buy in stores.  There are also balance issues on nutrioun.  Is the diet you are feeding going to give your dog everything he needs to sustain proper health.  I always suggest people putting their dog on a super supplement like the one here:

When you get a new puppy you should always ween him into his new diet gradually.  This will help his digestive system ajust to the richness of the raw foods.  Also, please beware of the safely risks associated with bones.  Dogs can eat raw bones, however there is a potential problem with chocking.  I would suggest you watch your dog when he is eating.

If you do good this route great!, just spend the extra time cleaning your work space, it's also a good idea to wipe your puppy down (muzzle, feet) these parts can spread bacteria.  And remember to supplement.

Best to you and your pup.

Susan Potts

QUESTION: Thank you for the response! Are there any foods you would highly recommend? I just don't want to give him anything that's super processed.

The only food I recommend is the ones I am a rep for.  They are Life's Abundance and Flint River Ranch.  If you are going to review them please go through my websites as I am an independent representative and there are many others.

Thank you.  If you would like a sample I can send you some.  Just contact me through my website.

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada