Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Dr strombeck home cooked recipes

Hi i have been researching a home cooked diet for my dog for a few weeks now. I particularly like Dr Strombecks home cooked recipes.

I do have a problem however in that i am concerned about lead and other metal contaminants in bone meal, I have been unable to get hold of the KAL brand used in his recipes anyway as i live in the UK. I come up with the idea however of instead of using white rice, i plan on using brown rice for the added phosphorus and ground egg shell for the calcium. Would this be ok?

My dog weighs between 27-30kg, how much phosphorus and calcium does she require?

Hi.  I commend you for doing your homework!
for her weight,  no more than 3 grams phosphorous daily; 3.9 grams calcium - you may want to double check my math.  Be careful overdoing anything; especially phosphorous. The brown rice should be sufficient.

Ground eggshells are a great source of calcium. But depending on what you include in the diet you may not need to supplement. Yogurt, cottage cheese, spinach, sweet potatoes and some fish are great sources.

Hope this helps.  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas

Welcomes questions regarding cooking for dogs, and may be able to provide information regarding pet food quality and ingredients. Not qualified to answer medical questions.

Founder, Rudy Green Inc., manufacturer of a frozen, all natural "people food for dogs". I have been an animal rescue worker for over 20 years and have extensive knowledge of pet food and nutrition.

Bachelors degree in Social Sciences. 20+ years of active volunteerism within Animal Welfare organizations. Over 6 years of studies and hands on research in pet nutrition.

Retail customers include Whole Foods Market, Kroger, Amazon and independent pet supply and grocery stores