Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Is all protein the same?

My daughter has recently adopted a Shelter puppy, and has been buying the $18-for-15-lbs kind of dog food from an up-scale pet store in order to get "protein-from-meat" instead of protein-from-grain-blends dog food.

I was raised to believe that "protein was protein", and that a $12 bag of 26% grain-source protein was an obviously better value over an $18 bag of 27% meat-source ("lamb meal", de-boned chicken, etc.) protein.

So my question is: Are the sources of the protein relatively unimportant compared to the significance of the protein-percentages, or is there really enough of a difference between equal percentages of protein from meat compared to grain-sourced to warrant paying twice the price for equal-weight bags?

As one previous Expert (Decks) I know how much time can be chewed up answering questions, so let me thank you in advance for sharing your expertise with a large audience.

Hello Mac,

First of all, I enjoy helping people when it comes to feeding their pets.

All proteins are not the same.  Protein supplies the amino acids necessary for healing and restoring the body. Muscle is built and maintained through ingestion of protein so to have a complete balance of nutritionals we need to balance protein with the correct amount of complex carbohydrates and healthy fats.

Dogs need meat.  The first ingredient in a food should be meat.  When you see chicken meal, the chicken breast meat has had the water (moisture) removed so there is a better concentrate of protein.

For a better explanation of protein sources and there values, I want you to see this website. each ingredient that contains proteins are explained and tells how they help the body.
Hope this helps.

Susan Potts  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada