Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Switching Dog Food

We have a 22 lb., 6 month rescue beagle mix.  We've had her for about 2 months and she is mostly house broken.  She had been fed pedigree puppy chow (at the shelter and we continued to feed her -1 c. 2x a day, at least for now, the vet said to get her to a cup a day by 10 months) but her poop was really soft, sometimes almost liquidy. Wasn't too horrible until the anal glands had to be emptied.  She generally pooped 2x a day. Hoping to avoid future anal gland problems by firming up her poop I'm in the process of switching over her food.  We only just started mixing in a little bit of Wellness Brand (super 5 mix) with the pedigree, maybe 2 tablespoons. The poop did firm up, but now she has become a pooping machine - min. 4 times a day, sometimes in the house, literally she finished eating today turned around pooped and ate it before we even realized she finished eating. Could it be just the switchover that's the problem?  I thought with the higher quality brands they pooped less.

Hello Laura,

Just because a food claims to be a higher quality, does not mean less stool.  Switching over can and will cause some less firm stool in some pets.  If you are wanting to avoid digestive issues go right to a food that will help keep your pet's digestive track in top order. or are the two food brands that are the best for your dog's health.  Better food, less problems.  These are fresher than store bought bags of food that sit around for sometimes years.  Older food will cause a brake down in nutritious.  Freshly made food delivers better nutrition absorption.

Let me know if you need any other help.  You can contact me direct at my website.
Susan Potts  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada