Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Feeding glucose biscuits to stray dogs

Dear Ms.Haas,

I live in India and here we have a lot of stray dogs on the streets.I also have some in my neighborhood.Is it fine to feed them glucose biscuits?I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere feed them a variety of foods.Although,I bought 'Pedigree' dog-food for my neighborhood dogs but only one out of five of them ate it so this option was ruled out for me.

Also,one of the dogs eats vegetables and fruit peels(eg.tomato,papaya,mango). Is it alright?

Thank you
Sameer Bhatia

Hi Sameer
It is very kind of you to feed these dogs.
In my opinion, it is fine to give them biscuits and fruit and veggies.
The 3 to NOT give them are eggplant, onions and grapes.
Other than that, these "survivors" can  probably handle most foods ,and the fact that they have turned their noses up at dog food speaks volumes!  
Are there any animal welfare groups in your area? Any veterinarians that spay and neuter strays to help end the overpopulation?

Again thank you for caring for those who cannot speak.  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas

Welcomes questions regarding cooking for dogs, and may be able to provide information regarding pet food quality and ingredients. Not qualified to answer medical questions.

Founder, Rudy Green Inc., manufacturer of a frozen, all natural "people food for dogs". I have been an animal rescue worker for over 20 years and have extensive knowledge of pet food and nutrition.

Bachelors degree in Social Sciences. 20+ years of active volunteerism within Animal Welfare organizations. Over 6 years of studies and hands on research in pet nutrition.

Retail customers include Whole Foods Market, Kroger, Amazon and independent pet supply and grocery stores