Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Panosteitis Nutrition-Thanks in advance!

Hello Susan and much thanks in advance for your time/help. My 1 year old German Shepherd just got diagnosed with Panosteitis, which showed up in his right rear leg. I was given an anti-inflammatory medication, but after researching it and seeing many horror stories about it I don't feel comfortable giving it to him. What is a supplement and/or food products I can give him that have anti-inflammatory properties and bone health support? He has been eating "Taste of the Wild" "Pacific Stream Adult Formula" (Salmon/Sweet Potato/Whitefish based) as recommended by the vet earlier in his puppyhood due to allergies. Now after getting his diagnosis I've read on German Shepherd forums that this might have too much calcium and could have contributed to his problem. Can you offer any advice on what I should do? Thanks so much again!

Hello Autumn,

Panosteitis is a condition that refers to a short lived, self limiting and painful condition characterized by lameness along with limping.  This condition affects the long bones in the legs usually between the ages of 5 to 18 months.

Inflammation can affect one or more of the dog's limbs thus making it difficult and painful to move around. With the right treatment, the inflammation can be reduced and the animal can regain full function and activity.

I highly suggest NuJoint DS.  NuJoint Double-Strength (DS) is a hip, joint and bone therapy supplement can help dogs of all ages by accelerating the healing process and reducing pain quickly and contains increased anti-inflammatory properties.
The active ingredients are MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), Glucosamine, and Chondroitin.
You will want to weigh your dog and use the daily recommended amount plus one to help this condition.  Because I am not a vet, this is a recommendation and a good place to start.  If your dog doesn't show any sign of improvement in 6 weeks, you may want to try a different approach.  NuVet and NuJoint DS is not sold in stores they are purchased by a referral only using an order code.
As for a food, I invite you to take The Healthy Pet Challenge at

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if I can be of further help.
Susan Potts  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada