Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Joint supplements

Hi Susan,

I have a 1 year old female german shepherd, Gracie, who we adopted from a shelter about 3 months ago. I currently have her on blue buffalo food- is this a good choice in your opinion?

Also, I'm very concerned about hip dysplasia and arthritis when she is older since it effects larger breeds, particularly shepherds so I've made the decision to start her on a joint supplement now,  dasuquin. Is this overkill? I know she is young but is it possible that this can help or even eliminate these problems from happening for her later in life?

Thanks so much!

Hello Ashley,

Blue is a good food, however I like pet foods that are processed and then sent out to customers when they are ordered.  Not to many companies can claim that for freshness.  Two companies I recommend are seen here at my website, lots of info to read and review.

Ashley, In many cases, the administration of cosequin products are found to have certain side effects. Some of the most commonly witnessed side effects of ibuprofen are given below:
When this supplement is first given to a dog, it may develop diarrhea. Only a few among the cases reported severe diarrhea. Following the dosage instructions carefully will help you in avoiding this condition to a great extent.
Upset Stomach
Many dogs show an upset stomach right after the supplementation. If you are noticing such symptoms, supplementing after a meal is the best thing to do. An empty stomach is can worsen the symptoms.
Loss of Appetite
The initial dosages of cosequin are always high. When you are starting to give your dog Cosequin there can be a drastic loss in the appetite of your dog. The only way to deal with this situation is by tempting the dog with its favorite dishes.
Dogs having sensitive stomach are likely to experience vomiting after the supplementation of Cosequin. Giving the dog a smaller meal before administering the drug can help you in dealing with this situation.
Allergic Reactions
Several dogs are allergic to beef and it is observed that the dogs allergic to beef show a reaction when supplemented with Cosequin. You must also make it a point not to give Cosequin to a dog is it is put on an ‘elimination’ diet.

I personally rely on NuVet Plus / NuJoint Plus.  NuJoint Plus®, is specially a formulated nutritional pet supplement. We’ve designed NuJoint Plus® to be a premium natural anti-inflammatory hip and joint therapy supplement. Only the highest quality pharmaceutical, human grade ingredients that are specifically compounded in a FDA-registered laboratory for maximum potency and effectiveness.
250 mg Glucosamine Sulfate
125 mg Chondroitin Sulfate
125 mg MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
50 mg Vitamin C (Ester-C®)
Flavored with Real Chicken Liver
See all the facts here at

Hope this helps you.

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada