Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/ph testing dogs urine

My 24lb 3 1/2 year old rescue chocolate cocker came to me 3 years ago and was a mess. She was from a kill shelter in Kentucy & previously bred 3 litters of cockapoos then was sent to the kill shelter.  UTI, bilateral infected ears,skin allergies and severely depressed. Urinating in the house & crate. Urinalysis showed struvite crystals. She was put on short term antibiotics, steroid therapy & permanent Royal Canine SO diet.

Fast forward 3 years & she is happy & healthy & the joy of our home.But I must admit lately we have not been strick with her SO diet and she seems sick of it. Will put a bowl of food out in the am & often she wont touch it til after 9pm (we tease that she is on a European dining schedule).

Spoke with our vet to see about changing diet to non prescriptive food. He wanted to repeat UA to see how she was doing on her "not so strict" SO diet. Her UA just came back negative! Yeah... no crystals.

I read an answer by Catherine Lane re: Dog Food for dogs with crystals & she recommended monitoring the dogs urine ph with dip stick. Where would I purchase the dipsticks & what should her ph be?

Also what over the counter dog food should i put my doggie diva on now. The vet said "anything", but I am looking for a more specific answer that will benefit my dog. Any input would be appreciated.

Hello Brenda,

First of all, let me say thank you for giving her a second chance and a wonderful home.  I have two brands I recommend strongly, both I use and trust so I became a representive with them.  Life's Abundance and Flint River Ranch are excellent foods.  Made with American made ingredients, both of these foods are made, shipped to the warehouse, and then directly to our customers. We pride ourselves in knowing that your pet has a fresh bag of food.  On average, you will receive your pet's food within 6 weeks of being made, it's that fresh!  
I have many customers with urinary issues that do very well on the Flint River Ranch.  Flint River Ranch has developed several premium pet food formulas that may be helpful in the possible prevention of urinary stones, including our Flint River Ranch DryWater premium moist pet food formula, our Flint River Ranch Lamb and Rice premium formula, and our lower-protein Flint River Ranch "Fish and Chips" Premium Pet Food formula with added fruits, vegetables, and essential fatty acids.

For the dipsticks, check out amazon, you can get a bottle of 100 for around $15.

If you want to check out the products I mentioned, please go to my websites and my personal website

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Susan Potts

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts

Dry food, canned food, homemade recipes,I can help you in choosing the right food for your pet. Nutrition by supplements for health is also a topic I enjoy talking about and therefore is one of the best things you can do for your pet. Ask about The Healthy Pet Challenge I am Not a veterinarian so any of my comments/answers to your questions are Not to be used as veterinarian's advise, diagnosis, or treatment. Please Do Not ask me any questions concerning medical advise, diagnosis, or treatment.

over 20 years of professional dog grooming, I have talked with a lot of people about pet foods. I have seven plus years of studying nutrition in dog health and diet. Seven plus years as an independent field representative with Flint River Ranch pet food and six plus years as a representative in the Health Pet Challenge business featuring Life's Abundance dog and cat food, treats, vitamins. Over 8 years as a distributor for NuVet Plus pet supplements. I enjoy talking and informing my clients about nutritional support to help with their pet's well being. Owner of Spotts Grooming and Holistic Pet Foods.

Healthy Pet Challenge - We are devoted to helping pets live longer, healthier lives through superior nutrition. Take the Healthy Pet Challenge Today! Healthy Pet Biz - training website

The Healthy Dog Spotts Dog Care

Continuing eduction from Life's Abundance Holistic pet food formulator, Dr. Jane Bicks and Dr. Sarah Wooten, DVM at Healthy Pet Biz

Over seven years of pet food and supplement customers throughout the United States and Canada