Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Nutritious food for Cushings Disease and Bladder Stones

Question
Hello.
We have a 10 year old Shih Tzu male who recently had bladder stones removal surgery and now has been diagnosed with Cushings Disease. In order to prevent any more Calcium Oxilate bladder stones from forming once again, our vet has us feeding him the Hills U/D canned food which mixed with Potassium Citrate but the canned food is high in fat and low in protein. The recommended Cushings Disease diet recommends the opposite food- low in fat and high in protein.
We are confused on what we should be nutritionally feeding our 10 year old male shih tzu to prevent the return of bladder stones and for Cushings Disease?
Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hello Dan,

I can see how you are confused.  For the food, I don't like to go against what your vet is telling you.  Special diets low in purines that are components of certain foods Ė primarily found in animal proteins Ė that metabolize into uric acid in the body, high in complex carbohydrates (whole grains, fruits, and vegetables help rid the body of extra uric acid), low in fat (fat holds onto uric acid in the kidneys), and moderately low in protein are recommended to help prevent the formation of urinary stones. (Low-purine diets for dogs are often similar in nature to those recommended for humans suffering from gout or kidney stones.) Nutritional supplements such as potassium citrates (for preventing calcium oxalate crystals) and sodium bicarbonate (for preventing cystine crystals) may also be encouraged.
In addition to your dog's diet, you can help to reduce the formation of urinary stones by providing lots of fresh water. To increase your dog's water consumption by feeding a canned diet with a high water content or by mixing dry food with water.
Two that I would suggest are canned Life's Abundance found at http://www.pipschoice.com and dry kibble from Flint River Ranch found at http://frrco.com/120855 Flint River Ranch has developed several premium pet food formulas that may be helpful in the possible prevention of urinary stones, including our Flint River Ranch DryWater premium moist pet food formula, our Flint River Ranch Lamb and Rice premium formula, and our lower-protein Flint River Ranch "Fish and Chips" Premium Pet Food formula with added fruits, vegetables, and essential fatty acids.

Here is a post I wrote to help someone with their dog that was newly diagnosed with Cushings
SUNDAY, JULY 19, 2009

Cushings Disease in Dogs
Cushings is getting more common in dogs, what is it?
Itís a hormonal disease. As a holistic groomer and pet food adviser, I believe that we have poisoned our petís bodies as well as our own with the foods we all are eating. The hormones in the body react when they are stimulated by cells. The physiology of the dog has not changed in all the years of keeping records. The liver, the thyroid cells and the adrenal glands are not made to handle all of the toxins we place in the mouths of our pet's, in my opinion.
What are the symptoms of Cushings Disease in dogs?
This is a very complicated disease with a wide range of symptoms and causes.
1. The most common symptom is increased consumption of water and the resultant increased urination. The dogs drink between two and ten times the normal amount of water and the resultant increase in urination follows.
2. Increase in appetite is another common clinical symptom that shows up in around 80% of the affected animals. Dogs may begin stealing food, begging for treats continuously, and become very protective of their own food and despite having these symptoms, the owner may feel that the dog is okay because of his good appetite.
3. Abdominal enlargement is a common symptom in affected dogs. The potbellied appearance is a result of the shifting of fat to the abdominal area and a weakening and wasting of muscle mass in the abdomen.
4. Hair loss and thinning of the skin are also common symptoms in dogs with Cushing's disease. The hair loss usually starts over the areas of wear such as the elbows and goes to the flanks and abdomen areas until eventually only the head and extremities have hair. The skin may also become thin and be easily damaged and slow to heal.
5. Increased panting, urinary tract infections, or losses in reproductive ability are other symptoms often noted with this disease.

Feeding the right food is so very important in aiding in the treatment of Cushing's. I feed Life's Abundance because it is made fresh and shipped to your door within 4 weeks. It is packed with the most nutritional ingredients, vitamins, minerals and herbs for good health.
Use this link to learn more about Life's Abundance pet foods.
http://www.pipschoice.com
Add the supplement of NuVet to add in fast recovery and strengthen the immune system of the dog.  http://www.nuvet.com/42299 must use order code when placing order call 1800-474-7077 42299 to save, place on auto ship.
http://spottsdogcare.blogspot.com/search?q=Cushings

Let me know how your dog does.
Susan Potts  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts