Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Struvite Crystals and Skin Infection

Question
My 12 year old rescue dog, Emma, has been diagnosed with struvite crystals and a possible UTI as there is a high presence of yeast. Additionaly, she's chubby and has liver enzymes twice what they should be. She's on Royal Canin's SO moderate calorie formula to address her issues. Recently, several areas of her skin have erupted and exasperated by her chewing - this seemed to be a sudden onset. She had a Clorox scrub and was prescribed Cefpodoxime Proxetil 100mg once daily, Hydroxyzine 25 mg twice daily if needed, Relifor topical spray, and Resortin Skin Ointment. Emma weighs about 33 lbs and is a Border Collie/Jack Russell mix. She cries all day and night, paces, sleeps very little, wears an inflated E-collar, but is constantly hungry. Her vet said nothing more can be prescibed and no other foods. I feel the need to give her some type of treat. What foods have you had success with for dogs with struvite crystals? No fat cottage cheese and lean meats ok? How about Nu-Stock for her raw skin?

Answer
Karen,

The only thing I can tell you to try is NuVet Plus.  Http://www.nuvet.com/42299 they guarantee it to work or your money back.  I suggestion - order a 90 count bottle give her one wafer in the morning and one wafer at night.  See their website for testimonials from pet owners.  You can even call them at 1-800-474-7044 and ask questions.  

For food, Flint River Ranch http://www.frrco.com/120855 Flint River Ranch has developed several premium pet food formulas that may be helpful in the possible prevention of urinary stones, including Flint River Ranch DryWater premium moist pet food formula, Flint River Ranch Lamb and Rice premium formula, and  lower-protein Flint River Ranch "Fish and Chips" Premium Pet Food formula with added fruits, vegetables, and essential fatty acids.  Many owners find these foods very helpful.

Gives these a try, you have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

Please write me at let me know how it works for her.  info@spottsgrooming.com

Susan Potts
www.pipschoice.com  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Susan Potts