Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Doggy Diet

I am curious if you could recommend a good hard/kibble dog food for an adult dog that is over weight. He is a small dog with an ideal weight of about 25 pounds and he is about 10 pound over weight (35 pounds). He is an unusual type of poodle, that has always been husky, when we found him as a stray about 6 years ago. I am looking for both healthy and more importantly a type of food to address his weight issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Skyler,

Pat your self on the back for being a good pet parent and realizing the importance of a healthy weight.  
I try to avoid recommending specific brands of commercial food because of a conflict of interest with my own company. However on a personal note, I feed my clan a Canadian made kibble and mix it with home cooked fresh meats, vegetables and grains.
One of the best ways to add nutrition to your dog's diet while reducing caloric intake is by supplementing their dog food with fresh or plain thawed/frozen green beans, carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, sweet potatoes etc.  Any fruit or vegetable EXCEPT eggplant, grapes, raisins and onions are good for dogs.  Try a variety and see what your baby likes.  Chances are when you cut back on his dry food and add some veggies in, you will see a positive change.

There are a few good brands of commercial food that I will mention by name if you email me personally at

Thanks for writing.

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas

Welcomes questions regarding cooking for dogs, and may be able to provide information regarding pet food quality and ingredients. Not qualified to answer medical questions.

Founder, Rudy Green Inc., manufacturer of a frozen, all natural "people food for dogs". I have been an animal rescue worker for over 20 years and have extensive knowledge of pet food and nutrition.

Bachelors degree in Social Sciences. 20+ years of active volunteerism within Animal Welfare organizations. Over 6 years of studies and hands on research in pet nutrition.

Retail customers include Whole Foods Market, Kroger, Amazon and independent pet supply and grocery stores