Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/Doggy Diet

Question
Hello,
     I am curious if you could recommend a good hard/kibble dog food for an adult dog that is over weight. He is a small dog with an ideal weight of about 25 pounds and he is about 10 pound over weight (35 pounds). He is an unusual type of poodle, that has always been husky, when we found him as a stray about 6 years ago. I am looking for both healthy and more importantly a type of food to address his weight issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skyler

Answer
Hi Skyler,

Pat your self on the back for being a good pet parent and realizing the importance of a healthy weight.  
I try to avoid recommending specific brands of commercial food because of a conflict of interest with my own company. However on a personal note, I feed my clan a Canadian made kibble and mix it with home cooked fresh meats, vegetables and grains.
One of the best ways to add nutrition to your dog's diet while reducing caloric intake is by supplementing their dog food with fresh or plain thawed/frozen green beans, carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, sweet potatoes etc.  Any fruit or vegetable EXCEPT eggplant, grapes, raisins and onions are good for dogs.  Try a variety and see what your baby likes.  Chances are when you cut back on his dry food and add some veggies in, you will see a positive change.

There are a few good brands of commercial food that I will mention by name if you email me personally at karla@rudygreens.com

Thanks for writing.
Karla

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas