Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/switching kibble

We are bringing home a pug puppy in about 5 weeks time.  I have learned that this breeder weans the pups to Purina Puppy Chow, which I know is not a high quality kibble. I'd like to start my pup on something much better, a high quality grain free brand.  Do you recommend I wait a week after bringing pup home to slowly introduce the new kibble, or could I start the process the first day.  This is a pup from a litter of 6, they haven't started weaning yet. Should I request the breeder to use the kibble I want (I would provide it when we meet nxt weekend to reserve pup) or would that be difficult for the breeder to manage since the other 5 pups will be eating what they provide

Hi Talia,

Congratulations on your new baby!  I commend you for wanting to give your puppy a superior diet.
You can certainly ask the breeder if they would be able to feed a product of your choosing, but I agree with you- it may be logistically challenging.
If you have to wait til you bring him home, I suggest mixing the new food in with the old, increasing the ratio slowly over 5 or 6 days just to reduce the risk of digestive disturbances.

Enjoy your time with the puppy- it goes so fast!

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas

Welcomes questions regarding cooking for dogs, and may be able to provide information regarding pet food quality and ingredients. Not qualified to answer medical questions.

Founder, Rudy Green Inc., manufacturer of a frozen, all natural "people food for dogs". I have been an animal rescue worker for over 20 years and have extensive knowledge of pet food and nutrition.

Bachelors degree in Social Sciences. 20+ years of active volunteerism within Animal Welfare organizations. Over 6 years of studies and hands on research in pet nutrition.

Retail customers include Whole Foods Market, Kroger, Amazon and independent pet supply and grocery stores