Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)/ice cream

Question
Is it ever okay to give ice cream to a dog?

Answer
Hi Regina and thanks for asking this question which is not easy to answer with a simple yes or no.

It really depends on many factors and variables, such as: the individual dog's regular diet, his inherent ability to digest lactose, his age, breed and history; the flavor and type of the ice cream and it's lactose/sugar content; the amount and frequency consumed;
and of course, YOUR WILLINGNESS/ABILITY TO WATCH FOR/DEAL WITH ANY STOMACH UPSET, GAS AND/OR DIARRHEA.

Generally speaking, it is widely considered safe to offer low fat, low sugar vanilla ice cream as an occasional treat.  

BUT

I strongly suggest giving them a homemade frozen treat instead, using kefir or plain yogurt with fruit and a little coconut oil.  Easy, inexpensive and nutritious recipes abound.

Hope this will help- please respond if you want more info.

Karla  

Dog Food (Canine Diet and Nutrition)

Karla Haas