Dog Grooming/Irish terrier grooming

I have a 5 month Irish terrier. I've heard not to bathe her more than 2 x a year and to have her stripped rather than groomed.  Your thoughts? I have heard of using something that is used by African Americans ( some  kind of gel) rather than shampoo,  I have heard of having  her partially stripped as I do not plan on showing her, heard of stripping her back and  and clipping her underside? Have you heard of this? I'm in the Chicago area (northwest suburbs) and looking for someone who can strip.  Do you know of anyone?Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Nancy!
I am really glad you found me- cause you hit the jackpot!
The bathing story is an old world myth- forget it. Especially if you live in an urban setting or your dog is a house dog and sleeps/lives on your furniture. UGH! 2X's a year!!!! Who wants that ? Old livestock style breeders/kennel managers in Europe had that belief because they kept animals of a purpose to live up to it- OUTSIDE. They did not live in doors nor were they domesticated to the extent they are today in this country. BATHE your dog - monthly bi-weekly - whenever you  want! The trick is to use the proper products. There are several companies that have developed shampoos for course/wire coated dogs. Investigate. Go ahead and Google away. The only thing I advise is whatever you choose - DILUTE it at least 50% with water. Whether you go to a groomer or not- especially if you do it yourself- it will make it sooooo much easier.
Partial stripping is fine but as far as I am concerned - Irish is one of the easiest of the wire coated long legged terriers to pluck- and since you are NOT showing you can use a Mars coat king to rake out the coat then pluck what ever is left on the body and a properly trained groomer will be able to do the head and ears while finishing everything else with thinning shears- and if they tell you they can't or won't do that- print this out and show it to them . They should not be grooming terriers. Or tell them if they are willing to learn contact me.
Short of that- look for a professional terrier handler who will take on a pet client. Your breeder should know who they are. Economic times being what they are handlers seem to be more welcoming of pet clients than in the past.
I love the Irish- have lots that I do- am passionate about the results achieved by plucking- you'll never be disappointed!
Good Luck!

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website