Dog Grooming/stripping knives

Question
Hello again Beth,

I purchased the Greyhound stone and Hauptner knives you recommended so thank you! Just wondering..what is the best way to dull the knives?

Thank you in advance : )

Draga

Answer
I think that the easiest way is to just use them. You must be sure to hold your wrist locked straight and when you pull the hair DO NOT FLIP your wrist or the hair. Pull it directly out of the follicle the direction it grows, otherwise you will cut it. Work the legs and rear first - those spots are not so noticeable if cut. Good practice. The stones don't need dulling. Try plucking a few hairs at a time in order not to annoy the dog. Less is more. Just remember to finish the spot you start before going on to another part of the dog. I t will take time and patience at first but once you get the hang of it you can let the fur fly, so to speak:-)
Make sure your thumb is gripping the hair to pull NOT the knife - it's just there as a backboard for your thumb to hold the hair between it and your thumb.
Just keep at it- good luck

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)