Dog Grooming/stripping knives

Hello again Beth,

I purchased the Greyhound stone and Hauptner knives you recommended so thank you! Just wondering..what is the best way to dull the knives?

Thank you in advance : )

I think that the easiest way is to just use them. You must be sure to hold your wrist locked straight and when you pull the hair DO NOT FLIP your wrist or the hair. Pull it directly out of the follicle the direction it grows, otherwise you will cut it. Work the legs and rear first - those spots are not so noticeable if cut. Good practice. The stones don't need dulling. Try plucking a few hairs at a time in order not to annoy the dog. Less is more. Just remember to finish the spot you start before going on to another part of the dog. I t will take time and patience at first but once you get the hang of it you can let the fur fly, so to speak:-)
Make sure your thumb is gripping the hair to pull NOT the knife - it's just there as a backboard for your thumb to hold the hair between it and your thumb.
Just keep at it- good luck

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website