Dog Grooming/Trimming hair

Our Bernese/Collie mix has a lot of hair on top of his paws and underneath between his pads. Should we trim this back or leave it. He seems to gnaw at it trimmed or not. Yet, untrimmed it catches a lot of dirt leaving tracks all over the house.

Hi Frank,
Standard grooming procedure states, unless you are showing a dog that the hair between the toes and the pads be trimmed. Dogs sweat glands are there so if you do not keep them cleaned and free of debris they will get a build up of yeast or other bacteria which can cause them to chew more frequently and compound the issue.
I recommend you do it at least every 6 weeks but monthly is preferable. Also if build up is a problem, then use a dishwashing liquid like Palmolive to soak the feet and break down the grease and yeast. Just make sure to dry the foot well after. Moisture encourages bacterial growth. Try using foot powder or Gold Bond Powder to inhibit the growth and discourage licking and chewing.
good luck!

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website