Dog Grooming/Clipper

Question
I have 2 papillons that have completely different hair textures. I get them groomed only a few times a year due to cost and try to maintain them myself in between. I have a corded whal clipper. The hair binds up in the comb attachment, the dogs HATE when I try to do their legs...it's just a pain. I'm hoping a better clipper will alleviate some of the problems I encounter. Can you recommend something to use for them? I know they are not meant to be cut but they're pets not show dogs. I keep them real short all summer (buzzed) and only about 1/2-1 inch over the winter.

Answer
Kristen- Not sure why this is happening other than your blades may need to be replaced, sharpened or re-aligned. Wahl is a great brand I use them all the time. Of course you get what you pay for so if you bought the cheaper drug store version instead of the professional animal clipper that would explain it too.
Personally I wouldn't use clippers on Papillons they just don't have the coat that warrants it. I use thinning shears on those breeds and just trim to body shape. It really changes the coat color and texture to shave them, pet or no.
A very high # blade(30-50) with a snap on attachment would be preferable if you want to continue to clip. If you don't use clipper regularly make sure to grease/oil/clean the blades or try a new set. Comb all knots out first or longer blades will catch and not cut. Scissor don't clipper legs. Millers Forge 40 tooth thinning shears work great.
good luck.

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)