Dog Grooming/Clipper

I have 2 papillons that have completely different hair textures. I get them groomed only a few times a year due to cost and try to maintain them myself in between. I have a corded whal clipper. The hair binds up in the comb attachment, the dogs HATE when I try to do their's just a pain. I'm hoping a better clipper will alleviate some of the problems I encounter. Can you recommend something to use for them? I know they are not meant to be cut but they're pets not show dogs. I keep them real short all summer (buzzed) and only about 1/2-1 inch over the winter.

Kristen- Not sure why this is happening other than your blades may need to be replaced, sharpened or re-aligned. Wahl is a great brand I use them all the time. Of course you get what you pay for so if you bought the cheaper drug store version instead of the professional animal clipper that would explain it too.
Personally I wouldn't use clippers on Papillons they just don't have the coat that warrants it. I use thinning shears on those breeds and just trim to body shape. It really changes the coat color and texture to shave them, pet or no.
A very high # blade(30-50) with a snap on attachment would be preferable if you want to continue to clip. If you don't use clipper regularly make sure to grease/oil/clean the blades or try a new set. Comb all knots out first or longer blades will catch and not cut. Scissor don't clipper legs. Millers Forge 40 tooth thinning shears work great.
good luck.

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website