Dog Grooming/Hi I have questions about snap on combs

My questions are numbered and have spaces under my questions for your answers.

1. What is the longest length snap on comb?

2. Is 7/8 the longest blade length. Just checking cause someone told me that's thw longest

3. What's the difference if I used a 1/4 inch snap on comb to do a 1/4 hair cut then 1/4 5f blade. There's a 1/4 snap on and there's a 1/4 5f blade. If I were to do a 1/4 hair cut. I'm not sure which to use the 5f blade or 1/4 snap I'm very confused I hope you can help me out im learning to be a groomer so I want to learn a lot

Hi Lauren
I applaud your desire to learn. My best advice about this is to experiment for yourself. Snap on combs are meant to give a longer appearance to the coat. Longer blades are going to cut more hair quicker. You can get the same results from either depending how short or long you want to go . The difference being that snap on scan lift a longer coat to leave it longer and a more natural feathered look. You can skim the coat easier with a snap on as well. Some snap ons are for a very long coat- 2 inches can't get that with a single blade no matter how long. You can use a 7skip tooth to skim long coats if you have a steady hand and a clean combed out coat.
A 5f will be very short and shorter plus every pass you make with it. If you want a real "puppy" cut, best to use a snap-on but they only work well on a completely smooth, knot free coat. I use a 30-40 blade under a snap on.  The snap on always leaves it longer so use that first if you experiment because you can always take more off but you can't put it back on.
As I said, best way to learn is hands on.
Good luck

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website