Dog Grooming/Dog Grooming Study Matertials

Hello, my name is Megan and I have been bathing/interning with a dog groomer for about 9 months, attempting to learn the trade. My boss is very interested in seeing me succeed and does her best to teach me but I feel my skills have plateaued at a mediocre level. I cannot afford to enroll in a grooming school at present but I am eager to expand my knowledge and awareness of the qualifications required of certified groomers. I have been able to find a few study-guide-esque documents but in order to have the questions answered, payment is required. I am hoping you would be able to recommend either accessible websites or books to read that would give me accurate information used by those looking to become certified. Thank you for your help!

Hi Megan,
It's always refreshing to hear from someone who really wants to learn the correct way to groom. One of the easiest ways to get the best tips is to attend dog shows and watch the professionals groom.
A lot of times you'll be able to recognize what they are doing and adapt that to your style. Many times breeders will take on apprentices to help them get their dogs ready for show. If you can find someone that needs a hand at dog shows and are willing to provide that for free, to me, that is one of the best ways to learn. I spent four years following professional handlers at my own expense and that was the best thing I ever did.

Breed clubs often have brochures that show the correct way to groom a breed. All you have to do is write to them and request the brochure and many times is just for the cost of postage. Or you can look them up online and see what they offer. Many times books are out of date and styles change so you need to go and actually see a dog show.
You didn't say where you were located so I can't give you any ideas about where the shows are for you to go and observe but you can look up on the AKC website where many of the shows are being held and when.
Good luck let me know how you do.

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website