Dog Grooming/dog bathing

is it okay to give my longhair chihuahua a bath in the tub twice a week? with baby shampoo and warm water? i'm afraid that this might be too much bathing but she gets stinky otherwise.

Hi Meg
I recently rescued a long hair Chihuahua myself! We adore her and she goes everywhere with us - as I am writing you she is curled up in my lap. That said, she needs frequent bathing also. Every 3 days due to itchy skin according to her allergist. So I set out to determine what is the best thing. Years of experience have taught me Baby Shampoo is NOT the way to go. It is very drying. Nor are the oatmeal based shampoos so what else?
The newest product is the enzyme based shampoos and conditioners.according to the people I have spoken to - vets and developers - this is the best way to go. Frequent baths are not a bad thing, my girl sleeps next to my face most nights and I certainly don't want a dirty dog in my bed!
Make sure to condition her so she does not get dry. Blow drying is important in cold weather climates as well.
You can google these new shampoos under enzyme pet shampoos and see what interests you. I would love a review since I have not had much feed back yet about them.
Remember to rinse well- I actually dilute the product too with water when I am washing dogs. Makes it easier to rinse.
Good luck!  

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website