Dog Grooming/hand stripping WFT

Question
Hello again Beth,

Firstly I want to thank you again for your Hauptner knife recommendations...I am very pleased with them. I have hand stripped my recently adopted Wire Fox Terrier for the second time [she is 3 years old now] and I'm finding her undercoat very oily. It's not particularly smelly or dirty but very greasy [I have a very well moisturised hands after patting her]. Is this normal?
Also, is there an alternative to commercial chalk powder? I don't strip her in one day but rather over several and I don't like the idea of the chalk being left in her coat. Corn starch perhaps??

Thank you.

Answer
Glad you are working the coat yourself! Good for you. Love those Hauptners. You can rake in between with the Mars Coat King to keep it under control as well. The Greyhound Stones are super for heads and ears too.
As for that oily skinů. it is a problem seen in a lot of WFT's. Of my 5 that I have had 2 of them have had it very badly, 1 occasionally, 2 nothing. I have had many clients with it as well. It is awful. If you don't smell it ( you get use to it) others will. Frequent bathing is the only thing you can do for it but NO OATMEAL soaps. Maleseb - a prescribed product, Tea Tree Oil based shampoos are the most often recommended. Keep your dog dry to- it is a breeding ground for yeast.
That said, the commercial chalk is really ok for the sort of skin. Absorbs some of that oil. Helpful actually (and will repel fleas naturally as a helpful side effect:-)). No cornstarch- feeds yeast and other skin problems. I often use medicated ear powder as it works like a rosin and has a bit of anti fungal which helps calm the skin as well.
If you are not showing your dog- bathe her frequently. I't not going to damage the wire jacket and will give her some relief from over active skin.
ur-roo!

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)