Dog Grooming/Hair sore?

Question
Ozzy
Ozzy  
My Yorkshire Terrier hates being brushed, I have bought numerous brushes and combs and always use Groomers Detangle before brushing.  I give treats and tried building up gradually.  He is now 12months old and still hates it, and tries constantly to get away.  I personally think he is hair sore, can this be so?  The last groomer I took him to, just said he was soft.  Please help, it seems so traumatic when I brush him.

Answer
Dear Jean,
This is not as uncommon as you may think. It seems to be breed specific. I would recommend you try combing over brushing. Try brushing with an infant bristle brush. Always use the metal comb but keep the coat on the short side if it is too difficult.
You are doing all the right things. You may want to try restraint by which I mean a loop attached to an arm on a table to keep the dog in place. Could be a leash attached to the collar and kept stable somehow. Do not try doing it on your lap or sitting on the floor... you must set the boundaries.
The more the dogs trusts your ability to get the job done quickly, the more they will trust you. More frequent brushing means less frequent knots to detangle.
Consistency is the name of the game... good luck!

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)